Thursday, October 18, 2007

mumbo-jumbo-3rd-day-of-Eid!

The buzzing message tone woke me up early in the morning, as been said in the previous blog we had decided that our open house was going to be organized today! This is due to the fact that some of our friends will start working by tomorrow, which is rather absurd! I was extremely sick, but the show must go on…
yes the show will go on!!

From 730a.m. I was in the kitchen cracking my head trying to get myself together to organize what I should cook first. So I decided since the chicken was half way done I might as well continue with the gravy, yes, indeed I am referring to my ‘ayam masak merah’ some might call it ‘ayam masak tomato’. In the middle of cooking the gravy, I had no choice but to taste it and guess what? I BURNED MY TONGUE! Not surprised right? Right! Not only had I lost the ability to taste the food, but I had lost the feelings on my tongue… all together. Great, just great! Won’t be able to taste the rest of the food I was going to cook, I was highly dependent on hubs and my brother!

Next was the fried spaghetti, yes you read it right, it is fried! Malay style fried pasta, hehe… used Malay spices and condiments for this, doesn’t sound right kan? Claiming its Malay condiments pulak. Haha, okay leave me alone. Anyway right after I started working on, the vegetarian ‘lontong’, well first attempt, hope it was alright. Then worked on the batter for ‘roti jala’ which I had followed the exact measurements from a recipe book. I honestly felt like, “calling those idiotic of chefs that shared their recipe slapping them silly” I don’t know whether it is done on purpose, the batter measurement was all SCREWED UP! It was still too thick; yeah so chef shereen and chef hadi was to the rescue… and then TA-DA, it totally worked.
We fried the starters which 'roti gulung' it has corned beef filling, and chillies coated with eggs, similar to french toast. Heated up the rest of the rendangs beef and chicken, then the peanut sauce or better known as kuah kacang, and then i looked at the kitchen again, it looked like it was going to EXPLODE, BA-DA-BOOM! I was worried as hell, if my guests were to arrive when my kitchen was still in that state, thank god mom loaned me her maid and we were able to get the kitchen cleaned before they arrived.
Lastly, i cut all the cakes, placed it on the serving platter and cooked beef curry, i thought buying the australian beef would make it easier, i would not have to cook the beef as long as i would have to on the indian beef... but somehow, it did not... and i had not gotten ready and when i looked up it was already 1230p.m.
*damn, damn, damn*
Left the kitchen immediately, got ready and put on a non-raya dress, i wasn't in the mood to dress up in raya clothes as i wanted to move freely, and as usual if you do put on your raya dress you'd have to be extremely prim and proper, which i'm totally useless for!
it was all ready by 1p.m. my kitchen was super clean and the table was already filled with food arranged according to different combination, yesss i knowwww it shouldn't even matter right? wrong! i like to make it easier on my guests.
finally our first guest arrived and it continued from 1p.m. and the last of the guest left by 8p.m. i would have to say that our first attempt on entertaining more than 10 guests had worked and it was a success, that we were serving malay cuisine instead of our western cuisine like always! i hope everyone left with some sort of satisfaction with the "kenyangness"...
although a few was not in town on that day, fret not there should be more coming your way...

No comments: